
(Photo: Gruber Images)
Don’t wait around to see Jonas Vingegaard racing again.
Vingegaard and Visma-Lease a Bike confirmed the rumor Monday that the rider has shut down his season and won’t compete again until 2027.
The 29-year-old has been sidelined since the middle of July when he crashed out of the Tour de France with a fractured collarbone.
“After a long and intense racing period, a recovery period was planned after the Tour de France anyway,” Vingegaard said Monday.
“Due to the collarbone injury, the start of my training has been delayed, and it is not possible for me to get back to top level in the coming period.”
Vingegaard closes out 2026 with victories at Paris-Nice, Volta a Catalunya, and the Giro d’Italia. In winning the maglia rosa, he beat arch-nemesis Tadej Pogačar to taking a sweep of the grand tours.
However, Vingegaard didn’t look close to reclaiming his yellow jersey from Pogačar this summer at the Tour. The Dane was already 4:30 adrift at the point of his stage 15 crash.
Vingegaard said Monday that he’s already thinking of coming back stronger.
“The focus is now on preparing optimally for the goals of the 2027 season,” Vingegaard said in a team note. “I will discuss these specific goals with the team in the coming period.”

Vingegaard and Visma did not drop any hints at their early thoughts for the 2027 season.
However, it seems clear at this point that Vingegaard will actually be back.
There had been some speculation over his future after he revealed he nearly quit cycling in 2025 when he suffered a mini post-Tour burnout.
Speaking to TV2 at the end of July, Vingegaard brushed away suggestions that he might retire ahead of time.
The 29-year-old is currently under contract with Visma through 2028 and intends to at least see out the deal.
“I haven’t decided when I will retire. Time will tell,” Vingegaard told TV2. “If by the end of 2028 I feel like I don’t want to do it anymore, then I’m going to retire.
“But it might also be that I’m going to continue,” he said. “I don’t know at this point.”
Vingegaard hinted to TV2 last month after the Tour de France that his race program could look a little different in 2027.
After overhauling the start of his program in 2026 to debut at the Giro d’Italia, he said he’s contemplating checking more races off his bucket list in ’27.
“There are still many races that I haven’t won, and that’s also something that motivates me,” Vingegaard said.
“We’ve focused on that this year, and so I’ve won three races this year that I haven’t won before. We can hope that next year I can also win some races that I haven’t won before,” he said.
Vingegaard has never ended his season this early. Maybe his long-awaited debut at the Tour Down Under in January is on the cards for the new year.